Here is the story of our journey to the creation of Saarinen Organics. Wow, it’s been a long one so pop the kettle on and let’s have a yarn.
We—Gregg and Kay Saarinen—landed here on our beautiful six acres of land 15 years ago. We found this perfect piece of land in Wyndham NSW, bordering the National Park with a freshwater creek.
Back then there was nothing here except dead wattles, blackberries and a burnt-out shed. We showed up with a caravan and bucket loads of energy.
We had a dream. We quit our mainstream jobs—me as a chef and Gregg as a carpenter—because we wanted to create a permaculture-based self-sufficient lifestyle. Not only did we want to build our home from straw bale and make ethical choices—100% off-grid with solar power, solar hot water, and a solar bore pump—we also wanted to be self-sufficient with food and our income as well.
After getting our whole property certified organic, we started growing and selling organic veggies. We planted fruit, nut and berry trees, milked goats, and raised sheep for meat. It was a big job but it wasn’t a sustainable income (we certainly don’t pay enough for organic veggies), so we pushed on in our search.
I was studying herb culture in addition to horticulture and permaculture courses, and we were working towards selling medicinal and culinary herbs. As part of my studies, there was an assignment where I had to value-add a horticultural product. At the time, my main crop was calendula flowers so I decided to make calendula ointment. I got an A, YAY! Not long after that, our beautiful baby girl Gemma arrived.
Six months later, she had eczema down her neck. As I left the doctor’s office with a cortisone prescription I thought what am I doing? I have been studying calendula and I have made the ointment, I’ve got this! So I decided to try it on her (not tested on animals, tested on babies!). It worked. It wasn’t a cure—as it turned out to be caused by wheat—but the ointment helped with the tight dry skin and gave her protection.
I found that I enjoyed making the calendula ointment and as there were many herbs in my garden, I wanted to make products from other herbs too. I decided to start a naturopathy course, studying all the skin element subjects I could find. I was also lucky enough to have a mentor who handed down recipes that were nine generations old. That was the true beginning of Saarinen Organics.
My very first market stall was 10 years ago at Nethercote with five products. Now 10 years down the track, I have a purpose-built lab, 37 products, a thriving permaculture farm and we are self-sufficient with our income, food, power, water, and straw bale house.
As I type this, I cannot believe we have made it! I would be lying if I said it was easy (it wasn’t). There were many times when we felt overwhelmed and defeated by natural disasters, failed crops, and exhaustion, but we have done it (and we’re still married—LOL).
We haven’t finished though.
Another turning point was people wanting to pay to have tours here. Gregg and I both thought we were years away from that. Now others can come and appreciate our hard work. Sometimes Gregg and I just see what needs to be done. Now we proudly stand before tour groups and tell our story and show people around. Happy dance!
We would love to share our permaculture systems so we have started keeping video logs and putting them on our Youtube channel and Facebook page, so do pop over and have a look. They are a bit raw but we are happy to give away our secrets to a successful permaculture life.
Getting back to Saarinen Organics and skincare, we have decided to source as many local ingredients as we can. As farmers ourselves, we know how important it is to be supported locally so we have endeavoured to source what we can locally. I must say the quality is fantastic with local low heated beeswax and honey (can’t find better), Mt Darragh lavender, local echinacea, olive oil, and chilli. For the ingredients we can’t source locally, we buy certified Australian organics.
We make all our bases here in my lab from scratch. Yes, that’s right, from scratch! That is unique in itself. I also make all of our fresh herbal infusions, herbal apple cider vinegar tinctures, and extracts from herbs we grow right here on the farm.
Our motto is to help you glow naturally.
We don’t make claims of wrinkle-free products. We’re about clean, healthy, fresh-looking skin.
That’s it in a nutshell. Thank you for taking the time to read this and also for supporting our eco-friendly, sustainable, all-natural skincare.
Saarinen Organics —all-natural skincare.
Helping you glow naturally,
Kay Saarinen x
Our Formula Facts:
NO Propylene Glycol
NO Synthetic Dye
NO Synthetic Retinol
NO Animal Testing
NO Nature Identic
Organic Skin Care
Background to Organic Skin Care Development
Starting with just a piece of land, our organic skincare range quickly sparked into existence. Fifteen years ago, Gregg and Kay Saarinen moved onto six acres of land with only a caravan. Kay went through years of studies, getting to know the ins and outs of organic skincare products in Australia. Our ranges include seaweed which is high in natural minerals and has Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils. In addition, we have created a range of products beneficial to itchy skin with local honey, antibacterial oils, vitamin D and many herbs.
The Importance of Organic Skincare
You’ve probably heard how important a healthy skincare routine is many times. This news always came from the more prominent companies, the companies with a voice. Now, the smaller companies have prominent voices. Organic skincare brands have taken the world by storm. So why is organic skincare so important?
- Non-organic products may contain extremely harmful chemicals. These associated chemicals have revealed several concerning issues such as hormone imbalances, skin irritation, and organ toxicity. Many brands have improved their chemical use; however, it’s still not enough.
- Organic face products are non-allergic. Most allergic reactions to products result from the chemicals used; however, the only allergic response to organic products is from natural allergens such as peanuts or strawberries.
- Organic skincare products are cruelty-free. Our permaculture farm is a certified organic farm, which means no animal testing is involved in our process, no harsh or artificial chemicals, just pure goodness.
Organic products are better for the skin. With ingredients such as coconut oil, honey, and aloe vera, you will benefit from the natural smoothing properties your skincare range will offer.
Tips Regarding Organic Face Products
Many potential and existing clients have asked the best way to exfoliate, touch their eyes and why their skin is getting dryer and itchier? Most skin dryness and itchiness come from age as our body stops producing sebum after a time. However, harsh exfoliating and rubbing adds to the irritation.
- Instead of exfoliating harder to remove the dead skin, exfoliate softer but for longer. We use Jojoba wax beads that gently remove dead skin cells than they melt and moisturise. The harder you exfoliate, the more you damage your skin. Always use an organic face cleanser for more benefits.
- Less is always more. Use fewer products on your skin, rub your skin less, and touch it less. We know some habits are hard to break, but it’s beneficial for your skin if you sometimes leave it alone. Only a droplet of your organic moisturizer will be ideal for a full-face spread.
- Always add SPF into your morning routine, whether you will be indoors or outdoors. SPF protects your skin from the UV rays of the sun, and these rays can even come through windows. Don’t add SPF into your night-time routine. SPF is too heavy for your skin at night, and your skin won’t absorb the best nutrition.
- For dehydrated and itchy skin, a humidifier will be beneficial. The moisture in the air will soothe and hydrate your skin while your organic products heal and protect it. Staying away from the sun’s intense heat or saunas, your skin’s health will increase since you won’t expose it to harsh temperatures.
Facts About Organic Skincare in Australia
To fully understand the difference between organic and commercial, we have listed a few facts for you to consider on your next shopping trip.
- The labels on skincare products can be deceiving. Where 100% organic means precisely what it says, wording such as “Organic” might indicate 95% organic and sentences like “Made with Organic Ingredients” sometimes mean that only 70% of the ingredients are organic. Always know what is inside your organic cleanser.
- For farmers to be certified, there are many hoops through which we must jump. To become certified, we can’t ever use any GMO in our products. All products must be free from ionising radiation and chemicals. We can never use synthetic colouring or fragrances in our products, and we will never test anything on animals. We follow these rules with a smile on our faces!
- Supporting local indeed enhances the economy; however, it’s beneficial for the environment as well. Because there are no long distances to transport goods, using locally made skincare products reduces fuel consumption.
Organic products preserve the environment with reduced fuel consumption; it also benefits the soil by being free from toxic pesticides and fertilisers and ensures less air pollution.
Why Trust Saarinen Organics
By growing our organic herbs and formulating all our products from scratch, we can promise the best quality products for your skin. We offer three main ranges as we focus on mature skin hydration, pimple care and itchy skin relief. You won’t find mineral oils, silicones, propylene glycol, fragrances, GMOs, petrolatum, or any synthetic ingredients in our products. We only produce organic and cruelty-free products.
We believe that cleansing your skin from the inside out is the best method. Where a skincare routine is highly beneficial, considering other factors are vital. For dry skin, we believe that adding Silica, Zinc and Vitamin C to your diet will help. For skin that’s low in collagen, eating high collagen foods will work wonders. Adding chicken, bone broth, eggs and citrus to your diet may increase your collagen and improve overall health.
You will find our blogs and videos showing you exactly how we make our products on our website. We are not shy and keep no secrets! Contact us today to start your organic skincare routine or for any further queries.